Bob Katz – Room acoustics in Digital Domain studio A & B (plus some nerding around)
In this video, I think the Jewel in the crown is getting to see inside Bob’s studio A where he shows us the ridiculously impressive raked ceiling which is 22 1/2 feet (or about 6.86 metres) tall. It’s 12 feet (3.65Metres) at the speakers end with no floor – ceiling reflections.
Dynamic directivity controls of the Dynaudio M5p’s control the vertical dispersion.
Subs are digitally crossed over and go down to 15HZ and if switched to Bob’s alternate, all analogue chain, go down to 27 Hz. Very impressive whichever way you look at it.
The Acourate room correction software is used for the final EQ.
Check out the AVAA c20 bass traps by PSI Audio here. They provide almost infinite trapping between 15 and 150 Hz so effectively eliminate the reflections from the rear wall.
- How long has Bob been mastering for?
- Monitoring in studio B (Genelec 8260’s)
- Studio B acoustics (“flat” down to 20 Hz with room correction)
- Translation between studio A and B
- Recording and mixing at Digital Domain